The Dell R740 was designed to accelerate application performance leveraging accelerator cards and storage scalability. The 2-socket, 2U platform has the optimum balance of resources to power the most demanding environments.
Expand and optimize application performance
The scalable business architecture of the Dell R740 can scale up to three 300W or six 150W GPUs, or up to three double-width or four single-width FPGAs. With up to 16 2.5” drives or 8 3.5” drives the Dell R740 provides the versatility to adapt to virtually any application and provides the perfect platform for VDI deployments.
• Scale your VDI deployments with 3 double-width GPUs, supporting up to 50% more users when compared to R730.
• Free up storage space using internal M.2 SSDs optimized for boot.
• Scale compute resources with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements
Automate systems management with OpenManage
The Dell EMC OpenManage portfolio helps deliver peak efficiency for PowerEdge servers, delivering intelligent, automated management of routine tasks. Combined with unique agent-free management capabilities, the R740 is simply managed, freeing up time for high profile projects.
• Simplify management with the New OpenManage Enterprise console, with customized reporting and automatic discovery.
• Take advantage of QuickSync 2 capabilities and gain access to your servers easily through your phone or tablet.
Rely on PowerEdge with built-in security
Every PowerEdge server is designed as part of a cyber resilient architecture, integrating security into the full server lifecycle. The Dell R740 Server leverages new security features built-into every new PowerEdge server strengthening protection so you can reliably and securely deliver accurate data to your customers no matter where they are. By considering each aspect of system security, from design to retirement, Dell EMC ensures trust and delivers a worry-free, secure infrastructure without compromise.
• Rely on a secure component supply chain to ensure protection from factory to the data center.
• Maintain data safety with cryptographically signed firmware packages and Secure Boot.
• Protect your server from malicious malware with iDRAC9 Server Lockdown mode
(requires Enterprise or Datacenter license)
• Wipe all data from storage media including hard drives, SSDs and system memory quickly and securely with System Erase.
|Processor||Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor|
|Memory||24 DDR4 DIMM slots, Supports RDIMM /LRDIMM, speeds up to 2933MT/s, 3TB max|
Up to 12 NVDIMM, 192 GB Max
Up to 12 Intel® Optane DC persistent memory PMem, 6.14TB max (7.68TB max with PMem + LRDIMM)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
|Storage controllers||Internal Controllers: PERC H330, H730P, H740P, HBA330|
External Controllers: H840, 12 Gbps SAS HBA
|Storage||Front drive bays: Up to 16 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HDD/SSD) max 122.88TB or up to 8 x 3.5” SAS/SATA HDD max 128TB|
Optional DVD-ROM, DVD+RW
|Power supplies||Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W,|
1600W, 2000W and 2400W, Gold 1100W -48VDC
|Dimensions||Form factor: Rack (2U)|
|Embedded management||iDRAC9, iDRAC Direct, iDRAC RESTful with Redfish, Quick Sync 2 wireless module (optional)|
|OpenManage Software||OpenManage Mobile|
OpenManage Power Manager
Microsoft® System Center
Red Hat® Ansible® Modules
Nagios® Core & Nagios® XI
Micro Focus Operations Manager I
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
|Security||TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional|
Cryptographically signed firmware
|Bezel||Optional LCD Bezel or Security bezel|
|Accelerator options||Up to three 300W or six 150W GPUs,|
or up to three double-width or four single-width FPGAs.
|I/O & Ports||Network daughter card options|
4 x 1GbE or 2 x 10GbE + 2 x 1GbE or 4 x 10GbE or 2 x 25GbE
Front ports: 1 x Dedicated iDRAC Direct Micro-USB, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0 (optional), 1 x VGA
Rear ports: 1 x Dedicated iDRAC network port, 1 x Serial, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Video card: 2 x VGA
Riser options with up to 8 PCIe Gen 3 slots, maximum of 4 x 16 slots